Untangler

Question Enforce Restricted Mode YouTube

Hi all,

OK... So I have a kids policy enabled for my son's gadgets

If he is signed into his Google account then that, by default, sends him over to the Kids' YouTube; but if for any reason he gets signed out, he ends up on the full-fat version.

As far as I can tell, NGFW is not enforcing restricted mode on YouTube even though I have that option set and anything you search for on there comes up... A bit of a worry. I have a bunch of restricted search terms etc and that all works fine in Google search. Is there a similar way to do the same on YouTube search?

Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi there!

There are a couple of considerations here:
    1. Are you using SSL Inspector and inspecting YouTube traffic? If not, that option won't work at all, unfortunately.

2. All the NGFW does is append a sort of 'please use Restricted mode!' tag to the traffic. It's possible that YouTube itself may not respond as expected to that request.

3. Have you considered changing to a static IP scheme? You could give your son's device(s) static IP assignments, then use those IP addresses instead of username to move his traffic into your 'kids' policy.

Untangler

Hey @gravenscroft, thanks for the speedy reply.

So... To clarify and hopefully give you some more ideas:

I've tagged all my son's devices in the hosts/devices tabs and use those tags to shunt them into the kids policy. That seems to work well unless you're saying static IPs would be better?

SSL Inspection is turned on for that policy and his gadgets have the root cert installed. I found a list online of questionable search terms and copied that into the "Search Terms" tab of the Web Filter and that works OK. Search for any term on that list and you get the block screen instead.

It seems to be just YouTube that essentially causes me an issue there and bypasses those blocked terms and my best intentions. Is there a way via Application Control to block full-fat YouTube vs Kids' YouTube perhaps?

Google is a mess. They are constantly messing with their stuff, and they follow no standards but their own. To make matters worse, they resist SSL inspection via every dirty trick possible.

Nothing will do this job consistently. All you can do is configure the account and try to keep it logged in, and thank your Google masters that you have that small pittance.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks Rob,

Where do the applications in the Application Control plugin come from, there's no way to add to them is there?

If I could block YouTube and allow Kids YouTube that would be OK. I guess I can do that via the Web Filter app as the URLs are different, so maybe that's the way forward.
    Last edited by Armshouse; 11-23-2020 at 09:29 AM.

That's about all you can do, but beware it'll break tomorrow sometime. I've been fighting this myself with my kids, there aren't any good answers.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com