Untanglit

Question Inconsistent behavior with web blocking option

I have a site that is blocked in the web filter policy:

1blocked site.png

Here is the advanced settings: (by selecting the option highlighted, I thought this was suppose to prevent the Untangle block page from showing up?)

2blocked site options.png

In Edge, the expected screen:

3blocked in edge.png

However, in Brave, I see the block page:

4site getting untangle screen in brave.png

Something else weird...... if I go to a 2nd computer (that has Edge and FireFox installed)..... with Edge on this OTHER computer, I see the Untangle block screen and FireFox shows the default 'can't reach page'.

TLDR: On one PC, Edge shows the Untangle block screen...... on another PC, Edge shows the expected, 'can't reach site' page.

That Which Lurks Below

You're correct about the intention of that setting. It's possible that the browsers which are showing the block page have some cached content and are responding in the way they would have before you enabled that setting; do you still get that block page if you try in an incognito/private browsing window? Are you using Policy Manager?

You may also want to update the Block Site entry to our recommended format: *vegasworld.com*, including the asterisks but with nothing else in the rule. That's generally more effective when it comes to Web Filter Block & Pass Site rules. (I doubt it'll affect the behavior you're describing, though.)
    Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
    ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
    he/him
    Please don't reboot your NGFW.
    How can we make Arista ETM products better?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by gravenscroft View Post
    You're correct about the intention of that setting. It's possible that the browsers which are showing the block page have some cached content and are responding in the way they would have before you enabled that setting; do you still get that block page if you try in an incognito/private browsing window? Are you using Policy Manager?

You may also want to update the Block Site entry to our recommended format: *vegasworld.com*, including the asterisks but with nothing else in the rule. That's generally more effective when it comes to Web Filter Block & Pass Site rules. (I doubt it'll affect the behavior you're describing, though.)
    I tried your new format (and you're right, didn't make a difference) I also cleared the cache, nuked cookies and history and used a private window ...... nothing changed. Exact, same behavior.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by road hazard View Post
    I tried your new format (and you're right, didn't make a difference) I also cleared the cache, nuked cookies and history and used a private window ...... nothing changed. Exact, same behavior.
    Turn off Window's Proxy Settings for Edge.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Turn off Window's Proxy Settings for Edge.
    Didn't make a difference.

Untanglit

Things have gotten worse. When I first did this, every PC in the house reacted as I'd expect when trying to go to that web site ..... just a generic 'page can't be displayed' error.

Now, EVERY PC in the house gets the Untangle web filter error despite me having that box checked about 'closing the connection'. As a workaround, I checked the box to use a custom URL and just have it pointing to www.dklklsdjfjhasdfjkh.com and of course since that page doesn't exist, the page fails to load and the site is effectively blocked.

Why isn't Untangle honoring that setting any more? It use to work perfectly when I first set it up to test but now it's not. Should I bounce the server?