Default Block web access using web filter

Hi Guys,

I have UT in bridge mode behind pfSense and I want restrict web access using web filter, is it possible to block web access for certain users/ip address and allow others without using policy manager? Also, UT does not perform any firewall functions.

TIA.

Untangle Ninja

Hi And welcome to the forum,
    You will need to use Policy manager.
    With the Free you have 2 racks. the default and a norack.
    So you can force users by ip in to the norack. but then they will bypass the hole UT.
    so other functions (spyblocker,adblocker,virus etc) will bypasst as well.

Other way is to buy Policy manager and create a new rack there you have all the modules you want and dosent block any websites.

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    Hi And welcome to the forum,
    You will need to use Policy manager.
    With the Free you have 2 racks. the default and a norack.
    So you can force users by ip in to the norack. but then they will bypass the hole UT.
    so other functions (spyblocker,adblocker,virus etc) will bypasst as well.

Other way is to buy Policy manager and create a new rack there you have all the modules you want and dosent block any websites.
    When you say free, does it mean it's free to use? I've installed policy manager but it says I have only 14 days remaining, what will happen after 14 days? Will policy manager stop working? Also I don't see any remove button, how will I remove it in case I want it removed from the rack?

mdh

The free part gives you the default rack (normal Untangle processing) and "no rack", which means Untangle is bypassed as far as protection goes.

When you install Policy Manager, you can create policies that govern what users and can do and what Untangle processing is done on their traffic. If you use it for the 14-day trial and do not purchase it, it will stop working on its own and any users who are being controlled by custom policies will go back to the default rack. If you go into SETTINGS for Policy Manager, there is a REMOVE button in the lower left corner. That will NOT allow you to get repeated 14-day trials though.

Let's say that I block all categories in web filter and allow few machines on the pass list, will this work? Will the users be able to browse if the site they want to visit is not in any of the category? I know this is not a fool proof strategy but I have to do something without the use of the Policy Manager.

mdh

If the users have a static IP address, and the computers are not laptops that end up getting a new IP when they're off the LAN, technically yes. However...a really smart user will learn how to defeat the whole process and go pretty much where they want. Policy Manager is not expensive if you've installed Untangle at a business, for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    If the users have a static IP address, and the computers are not laptops that end up getting a new IP when they're off the LAN, technically yes. However...a really smart user will learn how to defeat the whole process and go pretty much where they want. Policy Manager is not expensive if you've installed Untangle at a business, for what its worth.
    I know there are lots of ways to bypass this setup nevertheless it's good to know it will work to say the least.