Thread: Web Filter ads?

Master Untangler

Thumbs down Web Filter ads?

I've been using Untangle at home for a bit and never had a need for the Web Filter. I was going to have this at the small office we have here but when there is a blocked page there is advertising? Really? So the web filter is going against itself? I see the gambling ads, I click it and it brings it right back to the filter. It seems a little lame to see ads on something that should be blocking all the ads. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but I can't use this in the office and have ads being sent out when someone tries to go to a page they aren't allowed to, just defeats the purpose...

It's a brand new feature as of 7.1.1. I'm right here with you on the insanity of it all.

So, if the web filter blocks the page from loading... does Untangle still get their money for the click?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

more information here:

http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...e-changes.html

could you send me a screenshot of the ad if you see it again?
    my understanding is that we shouldn't be showing any gambling ads but we're looking into it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

mdh

Looking into the issue, or picking out which gambling ads to show?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It's a brand new feature as of 7.1.1. I'm right here with you on the insanity of it all.

So, if the web filter blocks the page from loading... does Untangle still get their money for the click?
    I can understand the need to cover the cost for the bandwidth but the Open Source version, I think, it here to help the developers with their software. Us in the OS community play a huge part in finding bugs and testing new releases. By putting ads in, it's like we now give you the above plus now you make money off of us.

If I'm wrong here then please correct me, I'm sure that if we decided to put UT in place for a client we would probably add in the branding or esoft to get rid of the ads.

MoreDakka, it's more than that.

If this was a normal OpenSource project hosted off sourceforge.net, (ad supported site) it would be a non-issue.

The fact is Untangle isn't a product, it's a SERVICE. There are constant updates and upgrades going into the project for AV, Spyware definitions, and the like. The community helps a ton with the actual development, which reduces the costs there, but I don't see the community donating bandwidth to run that server cluster.

I'd rather see ads on my freebie block pages, and get rid of that server crash every time a new release comes out...

If Untangle has done anything wrong it's 2 fold.

1.) Untangle targets the SMB market while the OpenSource package gives 100% of the features needed by an SMB market. It's really hard to make money when you're giving away all the important toys.
    2.) Untangle targets the enterprise market while the product doesn't really work in that realm. The support staff doesn't have the training needed to deal with deployments on that scale. And they frown on customized linux modifications designed to grant access to the hardware to do this. And, I haven't even gotten to the 10k concurrent session wall.

This means that Untangle is very uncomfortably sellable to what I term mid sized businesses. These are networks of 25 users - 1000 users. And in these cases what are we selling? The AD Module and Policy Manager are the only two parts I really care about. But the SpamBooster is becoming more important.

Now most of my clients are 10 seats or less... they aren't buying anything more than a crappy little soho router. Heck most of them aren't buying ANYTHING these days. The 25-1000 user bracket is a very profitable bracket to sell in... when the economy is working.

So how much of this is just due to the fact that no one is selling anything these days?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com