Master Untangler

Default What is AVG DATA RATE and ACTIVE SESSIONS on reports?

On the daily Untangle reports that I receive, on the Bandwidth Usage page, the Average Data Rate on most days is around 34KB/s, however the average for the last week was 17KB/s. The max for the week was 3319KB/s.

Can anyone explain exactly what this value is, and what significance it has to the internet access throughout the network.

The values just seem really low to me.

We have the lite Untangle apps, running on a Core 2 Duo, 4GB box, connected to a 2Wire BT router with 9MB broadband servicing approx 40 staff.

Also, on the Active Sessions page, what is an Active Session? Is one session, one person accessing the internet?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by BadBoyHouse; 03-19-2012 at 04:06 AM.

The first is literally what is says. the total average bandwidth usage for your entire network during the reporting period. the max is jsut that..the highest amount of bandwidth usage during the reporting period. It lets you know how heavily your internet connection is being used at a glance.

2. modern browsers open more than one session at a time per page. this basically tells you how many sessions during the reporting period your users are using on average. this is a great way to tell if something unusual is going on as either bittorrent or malware will spike this waaaaay up.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    The first is literally what is says. the total average bandwidth usage for your entire network during the reporting period. the max is jsut that..the highest amount of bandwidth usage during the reporting period. It lets you know how heavily your internet connection is being used at a glance.

2. modern browsers open more than one session at a time per page. this basically tells you how many sessions during the reporting period your users are using on average. this is a great way to tell if something unusual is going on as either bittorrent or malware will spike this waaaaay up.
    Thanks for that.

So essentially, if the average bandwidth is low, then it's not being utilised much. Whereas if it's high, then this indicates it's being hammered?

exactly

Master Untangler

ok. cheers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyHouse View Post
    Thanks for that.

So essentially, if the average bandwidth is low, then it's not being utilised much. Whereas if it's high, then this indicates it's being hammered?
    if the average is low, it could also mean that it's not being used often.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>