jjj
    Untanglit

Default Query Web Filter Reports for Custom Reporting???

Is there a way to query the filter logs for more detailed reporting? We're trying to crack down on users that spend their day browsing the net, but without being able to query the logs and calculate time that's not really possible.

On a side note, are the logs stored in MySQL or plain text documents or what?

Thanks

Master Untangler

I think everything is in postgresql

jjj what you're asking for is a pipe dream. To to the nature of http communication it is impossible to get a reliable reading on how long a particular user was visiting a particular web site. This request has come up many times in the past, and people even claim that competing products have a feature that does this.

Just know, that do date, every single competing product that has been mentioned on these forums have been destroyed by honest investigation. The bottom line is, unless you have a browser addon that counts the seconds and reports back to some central server, you have no reasonable way of knowing how long that window was open. And even then, what are you going to do to the person that opened IE and left it sitting on MSN, or google all day?

That is why UT doesn't do this by default. The UT engineers aren't willing to lie to their consumers to make them feel better.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That is why UT doesn't do this by default. The UT engineers aren't willing to lie to their consumers to make them feel better.
    I dont think needing to know what is going on and being able to query the reports with variables is out of line at all. In fact, not having it is what is still holding me back. I dont need to know how long anyone was on a site, I just need real time query access to the data thats there.

And..a bypass feature.

Lannie