Default Passed By Policy ??

Hi,

On the rack in the web filter there is a "Passed by Policy" area...where does this come from?

I do not think I have any policies in place for passing, only blocking? Yet I have a few hundred passed by policy.

I can't find any mention of this in the help file?

Thanks,

Jim

If you're referring to the firewall module, the default policy is to pass all traffice. You have to change it to block by default. That is probably where you're getting "passed by policy" info.

I have my firewall to block all incoming traffic, with one rule to allow outbound.

The one I am speaking of is "pass by policy" is out to the right of the web filter showing the number of:
    Pages Scanned
    Pages Blocked
    Pages Passed
    Passed by Policy

Here is a screenshot link:Passed By Policy

Is this showing something from the firewall as well...sorry if this is a simple question but this is my first time with UT and I have a lot to learn.

Jim

Are you blocking everything?

Do you have nothing on your passlist?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

My firewall is all "Blocked" with only one rule allowing outbound traffic.

On the web filter there are no sites to pass...just sites to block?

I have gone through everything and I cant find anything that shows "Pass".

Thanks,

Jim

Web Filter is a separate app from Firewall. so I'm not sure what you're asking...

Are all categories set to block in Web Filter?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Passed by policy in the web filter log is when you check mark the log on the categories.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post

Web Filter is a separate app from Firewall. so I'm not sure what you're asking...

Are all categories set to block in Web Filter?
    Sorry about the confusion. I orginally asked about the Web Filter...then someone posted that it was my firewall...so I then posted that my firewall was set to block all...then I continued the post to discuss the Web Filter.

Everything I asked about was related to the Web Filter, since this is where the Passed by Policy is showing on the rack.

So, from reading the post from Gotkimchi...it looks like it comes from the Web Filter Categories where the log is selected.

This I do not fully understand because there, I have seven categories blocked and those seven are logged...so they should not be passed.

The remaining are not checked nor are they logged.

Trust me I know it sucks working with a newbie but if it is passed, should it not come from something that is shown or marked as "Passed"? and not something that is marked block and log?
    Last edited by ItsJustMe; 03-05-2009 at 04:00 PM.