Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Careful there WebFool... you're starting to sound like a business owner.

Hell i would add another tier to there SSL inspector.
    Code signing function and client/machine cert and help small/medium business to signing there code/installers.

Make Untangle as sticky as possible!

And then for those clients add back some installers and have them signed directly..

Am I now showing my business side?

Even with the L2TP software crashing the UVM semi-regularly... they're STILL charging for it.
    That's kind of my point. It's not stable, so they're limiting it to installs that have support.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    That's kind of my point. It's not stable, so they're limiting it to installs that have support.
    Have they fixed a single install though? It seems to me they're charging for a known defective product.

Of course that's a bit of a stretch because the IPSec side works fine... and THAT certainly needs support. But they could still do better letting people buy support for their units specifically... which they've made a substantial move on in next month's pricing.

So it's not all gloom, it's just typical Untangle... Well actually, let's just say American. Doing the right thing, after doing everything else first.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Assuming untangle wants more home pro users. I can see wireguard becoming an incentive over the free version. As more vpn providers support wireguard it will become more wanted. And maybe drive more sales.

Unfortunately bean counters seem to be driving more than people with common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Assuming untangle wants more home pro users. I can see wireguard becoming an incentive over the free version. As more vpn providers support wireguard it will become more wanted. And maybe drive more sales.

Unfortunately bean counters seem to be driving more than people with common sense.
    I don't think Untangle wants more HomePro users, that sub was never created to sell. It was created so people could use it at home, and sell it to the places they work at. And if that translation isn't happening, I see that subscription going away.

None of this is cheap... everything about Untangle is orders of magnitude more expensive than anyone wants to consider. Especially in this whacked out year... sales numbers are... strange.
    CMcNaughton and hpaunet like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

In fairness, $4 and some change per month for Untangle at home is App Store low end subscription pricing. Common sense might be the last thing we want.

Give us a sec, y'all - WG's been out for like 5 minutes.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    In fairness, $4 and some change per month for Untangle at home is App Store low end subscription pricing. Common sense might be the last thing we want.
    Since
    I don't think Untangle wants more HomePro users, that sub was never created to sell. It was created so people could use it at home, and sell it to the places they work at. And if that translation isn't happening, I see that subscription going away.
    seems to be their main marketing strategy. The cost/benefit ratio seems reasonable.Whether it is working is another question.

Untangle Ninja

Whether it is working is another question.
    That is the question when we’re talking about bean counters having prevailed over common sense.

We home users are getting a great value, by any reasonable measure. That’s the starting place for any discussion of what’s common sense here, not what it costs (or doesn’t cost) Untangle to provide that value.

As for a marketing strategy behind the Home Pro subscription, if that actually exists, it exists only in a toss-of-the-dice manner. Anyone can buy Home Pro, not just IT professionals or influencers.

That’s all I’m saying. I leave it to others to make the home use case for inclusion of their favorite missing Untangle app (we currently have two).
    CMcNaughton likes this.

I know I make use of HomePro basically as a 2nd NFR, it isn't complete but it's better than nothing for Jim to have while the NFR sits here in my primary lab. So for that purpose it's been wonderful...

But I can see the business case for it going away too... Should it? It's not just about counting beans, it's about strategic vision. And that's something we don't have a ton of at the moment. I can say as a reseller and long time partner of Untangle, this year has been a strange one. And I've seen similar strangeness in other entities. So while I'm critical, I'm also rather understanding on it all. Time will tell, in the meantime just toss it into the trunk with all of the other insanity that is 2020.

But remember, we can't let 2020 win, because that means 2021!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast