Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Not enabling Wireguard for HomePro users is short-sighted and frustrating

I only recently converted over to Untangle from pfSense. The first few weeks were great...and then Untangle released 16.0. Included in this release, for reasons I can only speculate, was Untangle's bone-headed decision to not allow HomePro users to leverage the Wireguard functionality.

The other modules not included with HomePro make sense, since they (presumably) cost Untangle money via the 3rd party licensing agreements they have set up with those services. Wireguard, however, is native to the Linux kernel. There's literally zero cost to Untangle beyond the development cost of the GUI they slap on top of it.

Which makes the decision to exclude Wireguard nothing more than a poor attempt at a cash grab from its user base. I say "poor" because you can't even buy it as a standalone app. (not that I would) No, you can only get Wireguard by upgrading to Complete. And, I dunno about your own home environment, but my household of 3 people has far, far more than 12 devices, so I can't even use the "cheap" version of complete. I need at least 25 (and potentially more) IP addresses, which is north of $500 each and every year.

I would really, really love to know what Untangle is thinking here. Or *if* they're thinking. Do they seriously think home users like mysefl are going to pay $500+ more per year just to use Wireguard?

This is a naked cash grab, pure and simple, and it stinks. Please reconsider your decision here, Untangle.
    JasonJoel likes this.

Untangle Ninja

I am as sceptical as anyone. I am hoping they will give in eventually. It could cause a quite a bit of support until they get it right. The 14 day trial could cause support calls too I guess. I am hoping they will get smart and use wireguard as a marketing advantage at some point. Maybe other firewalls will force them if they don't. But who knows. I have been disappointed with decisions in the past and they worked out in the long run.

I am not using wireguard yet but if I do decide to I will run it in a vm.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by klieber View Post
    I would really, really love to know what Untangle is thinking here. Or *if* they're thinking. Do they seriously think home users like mysefl are going to pay $500+ more per year just to use Wireguard?

This is a naked cash grab, pure and simple, and it stinks. Please reconsider your decision here, Untangle.
    Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I can think of two reasons why they may have made the decision they did that have nothing to do with a cash grab. They may be trying to clearly distinguish their home offering from their SMB offering (maybe Complete users are pushing back on sales about the cost gap with HomePro?), in terms of capability. They may be attempting to deal with HomePro license abuse (not a new problem, and a rational for EOLing the original Home license).

I don't actually know what Untangle are thinking. I'm just not completely sure this is a naked cash grab. No doubt some here will question my intelligence, but that's okay. This is just my .

They could go with a community model which nearly every other software router has gone:
    Limit the plugins to those options found freely provided Via kernel or open source (openvpn, wireguard, etc)
    No support outside of bug reporting
    Limit on devices to something reasonable
    Pare down stats/reporting module or disable

When I was an UT home pro subscriber I disabled all report emails and most of the plugins because I knew what I was doing. The biggest item For me was openvpn server and VPN tunnel. (Since replaced by wireguard). All in all I had upwards of 30 devices connected in our home.

I've moved on but would return in a heartbeat if wg was included in Home Pro now that uefi boot works.

Untangle Ninja

The community model is exactly what you described and includes your biggest item, openvpn... for free.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

As Wireguard is a new module for them, I suspect they are simply wanting to limit the initial distribution to those with paid support agreements, so they can give it the attention it needs to be sure it will work well, before a broader deployment. Give it another release cycle and see what happens.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    As Wireguard is a new module for them, I suspect they are simply wanting to limit the initial distribution to those with paid support agreements, so they can give it the attention it needs to be sure it will work well, before a broader deployment. Give it another release cycle and see what happens.
    If this logic bore fruit, IPSec would be free by now. It's also just an Untangle GUI sitting on free software. Even with the L2TP software crashing the UVM semi-regularly... they're STILL charging for it.

So you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath. I just don't begrudge Untangle the right to decide to sell their products. I think it's foolish against the greater market at this time, but it's their call to make.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I would use it to hook ppl on the product and then integrate it to policy manager/directly connector and push those paid apps.

But we will see what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    I would use it to hook ppl on the product and then integrate it to policy manager/directly connector and push those paid apps.

But we will see what they do.
    Careful there WebFool... you're starting to sound like a business owner.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I was irritated that it wasn't in HomePro after they hyped the snot out of it.

If you want Wireguard... Go get a Raspberry Pi and install PiVPN. Google it. It will do both WireGuard and OpenVPN. Works.

It will also install on Ubuntu and Debian.

I have it on a Pi on my home network and on a VPS at Linode.

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast