Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Wireguard VPN while inside network with Untangle wireguard server

We have used openvpn a lot up to now but were testing wireguard. We use full tunnel on both openvpn and wireguard.

With openvpn when a remote user brings a device onsite that is not local to the untangle acting as an openvpn server everything works fine. The openvpn connection pauses and doesn't work because it is now local and all traffic is passed as local and internet access works.

We tested this same scenario with wireguard but it doesn't function. It appears on windows client at least that wireguard tries to connect and pass all traffic through the interface and when onsite with the untangle device it will then just not pass anything.

Not sure if this is something that untangle can fix or if this is a wireguard client problem but I wanted you to be aware of the situation to see if a fix could be implemented.

Please let me know if you would need more clarification.
    pmterp likes this.

Have this same issue, any solution to it?

Check your access rules, OpenVPN and Wireguard have basically the same controls. That is to say, they don't connect when they see a connection from a non-wan interface.

OpenVPN for Windows as a client does handle this better, but at times falls flat on its face. I've seen plenty of really annoying things happen when users forget to disconnect before they come into the office.

Wireguard I'd expect to be more problematic in this regard not less... the client simply isn't as mature. We couldn't even get users without admin rights into a tunnel until extremely recently.

So I don't expect there to be a fix for this at this time, but I'll also admit i don't know enough about Wireguard personally yet to make that pronouncement with any sort of authority.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

same issue here

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Check your access rules, OpenVPN and Wireguard have basically the same controls. That is to say, they don't connect when they see a connection from a non-wan interface.

OpenVPN for Windows as a client does handle this better, but at times falls flat on its face. I've seen plenty of really annoying things happen when users forget to disconnect before they come into the office.

Wireguard I'd expect to be more problematic in this regard not less... the client simply isn't as mature. We couldn't even get users without admin rights into a tunnel until extremely recently.

So I don't expect there to be a fix for this at this time, but I'll also admit i don't know enough about Wireguard personally yet to make that pronouncement with any sort of authority.
    Thanks, this works perfectly. I only have this issue with mobile phones where I forced the vpn to be connected at all times.

Untangler

I'm doing some testing with wireguard on untangle I noticed If I don't turn the wireguard client off when connected to local network I'm not able to access local network or the internet. I have wiregaurd setup on a unifi network on a raspberry pi and local lan and internet works fine if I don't turn off the wiregaurd client. Which is actually one of the great features of wireguard according to the guy that wrote the code. Something about wireguard being layer 3 blah blah way over my head. So it's untangle access rules blocking the traffic. I made a rule in Access Rules allowing udp port 51820 source internal and all seems to work fine.
    wireguard.png
    I'm not really sure if that's going to cause problems or somehow creates a security risk????
    Last edited by pcwatermods; 12-16-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pcwatermods View Post
    I'm doing some testing with wireguard on untangle I noticed If I don't turn the wireguard client off when connected to local network I'm not able to to access local network or the internet. I have wiregaurd setup on a unifi network on a raspberry pi and local lan and internet works fine if I don't turn off the wiregaurd client. Which is actually one of the great features of wireguard according to the guy that wrote the code. Something about wireguard being layer 3 blah blah way over my head. So it's untangle access rules blocking the traffic. I made a rule in Access Rules allowing udp port 51820 source internal and all seems to work fine.
    wireguard.png
    I'm not really sure if that's going to cause problems or somehow creates a security risk????
    Same issue here with my testing. No access while connected via Wi-Fi to my home network. When I turn Wi-Fi off on the device it connects fine except to nest cameras and unifi protect cameras. I’m running unifi switches and AP’s as well.

same issue here

This is not an issue, this is by design. VPNs will not work from inside the Untangle that's hosting them.

That may or may not be appropriate for Wireguard, but that's the default.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This is not an issue, this is by design. VPNs will not work from inside the Untangle that's hosting them.

That may or may not be appropriate for Wireguard, but that's the default.
    Sorry, the point here is not to get wireguard to work from inside the network that untangle is at. Comparing to openvpn when I take my laptop inside the network where untangle is then openvpn pauses the connection so normal network traffic will work without my intervention. Wireguard doesn't do this instead locks the connection and I have to manually disconnect to get connectivity back from inside the network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast